Message to the federal government, Somali Nation and International Community
We, the traditional leaders of the Dhulbahante sub-clans (Isimo) in northern Somalia, hailing from the Regions of Sool, Sanaag and Cayn (SSC), held an extraordinary summit on 3 July 2019 in a location known as Hadhwanaag in Sool Region in our capacity as the highest authority of the clan and its regions.
This summit was necessitated by the news of imminent talks between the federal government of Somalia and the one-clan secessionist enclave calling itself Somaliland in order to ensure that the federal government – and outsiders involved with these talks in one role or another – do not ride roughshod over our self determination and are under no illusion of our unwavering non-negotiable stand with regard to any talks with the secessionists at our cost. The following points are the main outcome of our deliberations:
1) That there is no such a thing as Somaliland as that has ceased to exist but after independence but there is a one-clan secessionist enclave calling itself Somaliland;
2) That we reiterate for the umpteenth time that we, the Dhulbahante clan in the SSC regions, have never been and never will be part of the one-clan secessionist enclave calling itself Somaliland. That is their own baby and we have to do with it;
3) That we, the Dhulbahante clan and their SSC regions, are part and parcel of Somalia and will always remain so;
4) That Ali Khalif Galaydh, the former leader of Khatumo and other members of our clan who defected to the secessionist enclave do not and cannot represent our clan and regions in Hargeisa contrary to their claims, but only themselves and the interest of their host;
5) In the light of the above, we would to like to make it clear to the federal government and members of the international community, who may be associated with the said talks in one role or another, that these talks concern only them and the secessionist clan and as such have nothing to do with us since we are not part of the secession but part and parcel of Somalia. For that reason, neither the federal government nor the secessionist enclave can claim to represent us.
6) That, any agreement or understanding reached between the federal government and the secessionists above our heads and without our say, and in particular if contrary to our clear stand and self-determination, will be considered on our part as null and void and will act accordingly to nullify it;
7) Given respect for the fundamental rights of the SSC people, we otherwise wish the talks well in the hope that common sense will prevail and Somalia’s unity will outweigh misguided clan chauvinism.
List of the Isimo
- Garaad Suleiman Garaad Mohamed
- Garaad Abdirazaaq Garaad Soofe
- Garaad Abdullahi Dabagooye
- Sultan Said Ali
- Ogaas Farah Dheere
- Garaad Suleiman Buraale
- Garaad Abdisalaan Mohamed