By Abdulkadir Abiikar Hussein
The mining sector of Somalia is still in its infancy stage with activity being predominantly artisanal in nature. However, Somalia has significant potential, and large proportions of its landmass have yet to be explored. Although mining activities in Somalia are minimal, the known mineral targets constitute less than 20%. The country has never had an overall geological and mineralogical survey. Past reconnaissance and exploration efforts were erratic; something here and something there and unfortunately that meagre data (though old) generated was lost during the civil war.
1) Mining for precious and semi-precious minerals: Only artisanal miners are involved in this activity in their search for gold, diamond, platinum and gemstones such as emerald, ruby, sapphire, tourmaline and meteorites.
2) Industrial mineral targets include phosphates, kaolin, bentonite, potash, lithium brines, sepiolite, talc, iguana, pegmatites and quartz.
3) Target ores: Iron (Fe), Copper (Cu), Zinc (Zn), rutile for Titanium, tin (Sb), gold (Au) and silver (Ag)
4) Target energy minerals: These include uranium, lignite, coal, and hydrocarbons – oil and gas
5) Mining for building materials and ornamental stones: Granite, limestone, marble, kaolin and lime production.
Abdulkadir Abiikar Hussein
The Ministry of Petroleum and Mineral Resources
Federal Government of Somalia
–Adding missing points to the natural resources agreement By Mohamed Mukhtar
We welcome the submission of all articles for possible publication on WardheerNews.com. WardheerNews will only consider articles sent exclusively. Please email your article today . Opinions expressed in this article are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the views of WardheerNews.
WardheerNew’s tolerance platform is engaging with diversity of opinion, political ideology and self-expression. Tolerance is a necessary ingredient for creativity and civility.Tolerance fuels tenacity and audacity.
WardheerNews waxay tixgelin gaara siinaysaa maqaaladaha sida gaarka ah loogu soo diro ee aan lagu daabicin goobo kale. Maqaalkani wuxuu ka turjumayaa aragtida Qoraaga loomana fasiran karo tan WardheerNews.
Copyright © 2019 WardheerNews, All rights reserved