British hostage reveals she did not know pirates had killed her husband for two weeks after she was kidnapped
A British woman snatched by pirates from an east African island was expected to return home on Thursday after being released from captivity.
Judith Tebbutt revealed she did not know that they had killed her husband for two weeks after she was kidnapped.
She was held hostage for more than six months after she was kidnapped off the Kenyan coast, but she was "hugely relieved" to be free.
News of her ordeal came after her release from captivity, when a ransom was reportedly raised by relatives.
Tebbutt was taken from the remote Kiwayu safari village, close to the border with Somalia, last September by a gang who killed her husband David, 58.
She told ITV news: "He was a good man. That was very unfortunate, really horrible. But you just need to pick up the pieces and move on.
"I didn't know he'd died until about, I think it was two weeks from my capture. I just assumed he was alive, but then my son told me he'd died. That was difficult.
"And it must have been hard for my son as well, very hard, and he's been fantastic, he's been absolutely fantastic, I don't know how he secured my release, but he did, and I'm really happy, I can't wait to see him, really."
Tebbutt has been reunited with her son Oliver at the British High Commission in Nairobi. In a statement, she said: "I am of course hugely relieved to at last be free, and overjoyed to be reunited with my son Ollie.
"This, however, is a time when my joy at being safe again is overwhelmed by my immense grief, shared by Ollie and the wider family, following David's passing in September last year. My family and I now need to grieve properly.
"I would like to thank everybody who has supported Ollie throughout this ordeal. I am now looking forward to returning home to family and friends whom I have missed so very much."
It was reported Tebbutt's family paid a ransom of $1.3m (£800,000) for her release.
It was reported a private security company, Control Risks, negotiated with the group for months, and arranged for the cash to be dropped from an aircraft.
A spokesman for the FCO said: "The Foreign Office did not make or facilitate the payment of a ransom."
Asked whether the government was aware of a ransom being paid, the prime minister's official spokesman said: "Our position is that we do not pay ransoms and we do not facilitate concessions to hostage-takers.
Source: The Guardian